3.5 kg rockling fillet, skin on
1.68 kg olsson’s salt
240 g muscovado sugar
600 g A1 sugar
150 g Sichuan peppercorns
1 bunch coriander, roots, washed and chopped
600 g pure gold pineapple, blended
100 ml mirin
1. For the curing mixture – Place salt, both sugars, Sichuan peppercorns and coriander roots in a food processor and pulse until combined.
2. Place a 5mm layer of curing mix in the base of a large tray with sides.
3.Place rockling, skin side down, onto the cure.
4. Take 1/3 of the blended pineapple and spread over rockling, then cover with remaining curing mix. Cover entire tray with cling wrap and place a heavy weight on top and press.
5. Press and allow to cure for 5.5 hours.
6. After 5.5 hours, remove the fish, rinse in cold water and pat dry.
7. Mix remaining pineapple with coriander and mirin into a paste and spread over the rockling.
8. Wrap tightly with cling wrap and place in the fridge for approximately 2 hours before thinly slicing.